Dr Matteo Icardi
Assistant Professor in Applied Mathematics
Department: School of Mathematical Sciences
Started at GERC: October 2017
Key Research Expertise:
- Modelling and simulation of complex multiphase flows
- Multiscale and model reduction methods
- Pore-scale simulation
- Uncertainty Quantification
Matteo was appointed an Assistant Professor in Applied Mathematics at the University of Nottingham in October 2017. His research sits at the interface between numerical mathematics, physical modelling and computational engineering. He previously held a Zeeman Lectureship at the Warwick Mathematics Institute (2015-2017) and postdoctoral research positions (2012-2015) across the globe: at Institute for Computational Engineering and Sciences (ICES) of the University of Texas at Austin, in the Uncertainty Quantification centre (SRI-UQ) of the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), and in the Groundwater Engineering group at Politecnico di Torino. He graduated in Engineering Mathematics (BSc and MSc) at Politecnico di Torino where he also did his PhD in Chemical Engineering in 2012 with a thesis titled “Computational models for the simulation of turbulent poly-dispersed flows: Large Eddy Simulation and Quadrature-Based Moment Method”.
Back to 'Meet the Team'
Matteo's research focuses on multiscale simulation, uncertainty quantification and model reduction with applications in a wide range of areas including rechargeable batteries, subsurface flows, and industrial transport processes. In particular he has recently worked on improving upscaling methods and tools for reactive transport and filtration in porous media, and in validating pore-scale simulation methods.
- DI PASQUALE N., HUDSON T., ICARDI M., Systematic derivation of hybrid coarse-grained models. Physical Review E, 2019. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevE.99.013303
- DENTZ M., HIDALGO J., ICARDI M., Mechanisms of Dispersion in Porous Media. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 2018. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2018.120
- BOCCARDO G., CREVACORE E., SETHI R., ICARDI M., A robust upscaling of the effective particle deposition rate in porous media. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 2017. DOI:10.1016/j.jconhyd.2017.09.002
- ICARDI M., BOCCARDO G., TEMPONE R, On the predictivity of pore-scale simulations: estimating uncertainties with multilevel Monte Carlo, Advances in Water Resources, 2016, Vol. 95. DOI:10.1016/j.advwatres.2016.01.004
- ASEERI S., BATRASEV O., ICARDI M., LEU B., LIU A., LI N., ... & SERVAT H., Solving the Klein-Gordon equation using Fourier spectral methods: A benchmark test for computer performance. In Proceedings of the Symposium on High Performance Computing (pp. 182-191). ISBN:978-1-5108-0101-1
- ICARDI M., BOCCARDO G., MARCHISIO D.L., SETHI R., TOSCO T., Pore-scale simulation of fluid flow and solute dispersion in three-dimensional porous media, Physical Review E, 2014. Vol. 90, 013032. DOI:10.1103/PhysRevE.90.013032
- ICARDI M., RONCO G., MARCHISIO D.L., LABOIS M., Efficient simulation of gas-liquid pipe flows with the population balance model, Applied Mathematical Modeling, 2014, Vol. 38. DOI:10.1016/j.apm.2014.04.052
- ICARDI M., ASINARI P., IZQUIERDO S., MARCHISIO D.L., Quadrature–based moment closures for non–equilibrium ﬂows: hard–sphere collisions and approach to equilibrium, Journal of Computational Physics, 2012, Vol. 231. DOI:10.1016/j.jcp.2012.07.012
- ICARDI M., MARCHISIO D.L., NARAYANAN C., FOX R.O., Equilibrium Eulerian LES Model for Poly-disperse Particle Laden Channel Flow, International Journal of Nonlinear Science and Simulations, 2013, Vol 14. DOI:10.1515/ijnsns-2012-0086
- ICARDI M., GAVI E., MARCHISIO D.L., OLSEN M. G., FOX R.O., LAKEHAL D., Validation of LES predictions for turbulent flow in a Confined Impinging Jets Reactor, Applied Mathematical Modelling, 2011, Vol. 35. DOI:10.1016/j.apm.2010.09.035
- ICARDI M., GAVI E., MARCHISIO D. L., BARRESI A. A., OLSEN M. G., FOX R. O., LAKEHAL D., Investigation of the flow field in a three-dimensional Confined Impinging Jets Reactor by means of microPIV and DNS, Chemical Engineering Journal, 2011, Vol. 166. DOI: 10.1016/j.cej.2010.09.046
- ICARDI M., CAVIEZEL D., LAKEHAL, D., The Immersed Surfaces Technology for Reliable and Fast Setup of Microfluidics Simulation Problems. In NSTI Nanotech Conference, Boston, 2008, Vol. 62, p. 67. ISBN: 978-1-4200-8505-1