Dr Ellen Gilliland
Assistant Professor in Geoenergy Engineering
Department: Mining and Minerals Engineering, Virginia Tech
Started at GERC: December 2016
Key Research Expertise:
- Geophysical monitoring and design
- Carbon management, reservoir characterization, hydraulic fracturing
- Domestic and global energy policy
- Public engagement
Since 2016 Ellen has been a dual affiliated US-UK Assistant Professor in the Department of Mining and Minerals Engineering, Virginia Tech and the GeoEnergy Research Centre (GERC). Ellen additionally works as a geophysicist with the Virginia Center for Coal and Energy Research (VCCER) at Virginia Tech. She has held previous positions as a Senior Geophysics Research Associate at VCCER (2011-2016) and an Associate Geophysicist within the Marcellus Shale Team at Chesapeake Energy Corporation (2009-2011).
Ellen holds a Ph.D. in Mining Engineering (2016) and a M.S. Geosciences (2009) from Virginia Tech plus a B.S. Geophysics from the University of Oklahoma (2006).
Back to 'Meet the Team'
Ellen’s research focuses on applying geophysical monitoring and imaging technologies to projects related to energy development (carbon management, reservoir characterization, hydraulic fracturing, etc.). She is working with GERC staff on projects to monitor carbon sequestration and gas production activities using synthetic aperture radar (SAR) imaging.
- Gilliland, E.S., Sarver, E.A., Krometis, L.H., and M. Karmis, Public Engagement and Sustainable Energy Development. Sustainable Development in the Minerals Industry Conference Proceedings, Beijing, China, 2017.
- Louk, K., Ripepi, N., Luxbacher, K., Gilliland, E., Tang, X., Keles, C., Schlosser, C., Diminick, E., Keim, S., Amante, J., and M. Karmis, Monitoring CO2 Storage and Enhanced Gas Recovery in Unconventional Shale Reservoirs: Results from the Morgan County, Tennessee Injection Test, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, Vol. 45, pp. 11-25, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jngse.2017.03.025.
- Tang, X., Ripepi, N., and E. Gilliland, Isothermal Adsorption Kinetics Properties of Carbon Dioxide in Crushed Coal, Greenhouse Gases: Science and Technology 5, 1-15, 2015, doi:10.1002/ghg.1562.
- Gilliland, E.S., Ripepi, N.S., Schafrik, S.J., Schlosser, C., Amante, J., Louk, A.K., Diminick, E., Keim, S., Keles, C., and M. Karmis, Monitoring Design and Data Management for a Multi-well CO2 Storage/ Enhanced Coalbed Methane Test in a Stacked Coal Reservoir, Buchanan County, Virginia, USA. Future Mining Conference, Sydney, Australia, November 4-6, 2015.
- Jong, E.C., Schafrik, S.J., Gilliland, E.S., Weiss, C.W., and J. Waynert. Pairing Magnetic and E-field Through-the-earth Communications Systems Based on Mine Site Conditions. Future Mining Conference, Sydney, Australia, November 4-6, 2015.
- Gilliland, E.S., Schlosser, C., Ripepi, N., Sowter, A., Hall, M.R., Rochelle, C.A., and M. Karmis, Geospatial Monitoring of Surface Deformation Associated with Energy Production and Carbon Sequestration, Environmental Considerations in Energy Production Conference, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, September 20-23, 2015.
- Louk, A.K., Ripepi, N., Luxbacher K., Gilliland, E. and M. Karmis, Utilization of Fluorinated Tracers to Monitor CO2 Sequestration in Unconventional Reservoirs in Central Appalachia – Results from a Small-Scale Test in Morgan County, Tennessee, 2014 International Pittsburgh Coal Conference, Pittsburgh, PA, October 6 – 9, 2014.
- Gilliland, E.S., Ripepi, N., Conrad, M., Miller, M., and M. Karmis, Selection of Monitoring Techniques for a Carbon Storage and Enhanced Coalbed Methane Recovery Pilot Test in the Central Appalachian Basin, International Journal of Coal Geology 118, 105-112, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.coal.2013.07.007.
- Smith, S., Ripepi, N., Gilliland, E., Hill, G., and M. Karmis, Risk Management in Carbon Sequestration: Case Studies from Unconventional Reservoirs in the Appalachian Basin, World Mining Congress, Montreal, Canada, August 11-13, 2013.