Welcome to the GeoEnergy Research Centre (GERC)
The GeoEnergy Research Centre (GERC) is a pioneering joint venture co-established by the British Geological Survey (BGS) and the University of Nottingham (UoN). The centre has strong international partnerships with Virginia Tech (US) and the China University of Mining and Technology. GERC was founded in early 2015.
Our goal is to address the global energy trilemma of:
- sustainability of energy supply
GERC will do this by focusing our combined capabilities to enable the sustainable and cost-effective use of geoenergy resources. We will undertake joint research into subsurface energy processes for a range of geoenergy sectors, specifically:
- areas of fluid-rock interactions
- sensor development
- demonstration of monitoring technologies
Our current portfolio includes research into:
- Understanding and monitoring fluid-rock processes in the shallow subsurface for CO2 storage
- Collaboration with international partners tracking the potential for CO2-based enhanced coal bed methane and coal properties
- Sensor development
We will explore opportunities to apply our expertise in:
- Underground coal gasification
- Enhanced oil recovery/ Heavy oil recovery
- Groundwater security
- Gas hydrates
- Underground gas storage
- Radioactive waste storage
- Shale gas
- Still subject to Virginia General Assembly approval, but the Department of Mining and Minerals Education, at the GeoEnergy Research Centres international partner Virginia Tech, could soon see a renovation of it classrooms and an expansion of its research space.
- GERC is playing a crucial role in the newly-announced ERA investment aimed at transforming the UK's energy sector after the Government confirmed £60m investment for the Energy Research Accelerator (ERA). The investment is backed by a further £120m from the private sector and Midlands Innovation universities.
Follow GERC on Twitter
Assistant Professor in Geophysics - Closing date: 12/02/2016 - Apply here
Assistant Professor in Earth Observation - Closing date: 17/02/2016 - Apply here
GERC is a member of the Midlands Innovation Group (Energy Research Accelerator), UK CCS Research Centre (UKCCSRC), Carbon Capture and Storage Association (CCSA) and the Midlands Energy Consortium by way of our founder organisations; BGS and the UoN.